Friday, December 23, 2005

Help Chris Edit this Personal Statement

This is a draft of my personal statement. It is two pages 1.5 spaced and I want to add a section to address the individual departments I am applying to. The first section has personal history that I can reduce. The second has religious stuff that can be reduced or cut. The third gets a bit long winded on my research interests and can be reduced. Thanks for your help.

A brief history of my path leading to Geography may illuminate my motivations for doctoral work in the field. My final year in high school, I spent staring out the window looking into the sky. Before going to college in Florida, I went to Japan as a Rotary exchange student and lived in the machine of Tokyo. Having escaped the machine in search of freedom I attempted to gain employment as a cowboy in Australia. That failed and I got a job picking grapes and throwing dead sheep into a pile. A few months after I returned to the US, I began my studies at New College, thinking that I would uncover the mysteries of the universe with a thorough study of Physics. After a class called “Asian Religions” my mind was sent tumbling down a very different path. At first, I was attracted to the fact that Buddhism and Hinduism had a broad, cosmological vision of reality. This was consonant with a conviction I held at the time, one that initially led me to physics, that humanity tended to inflate its importance in the grand scheme of things. As I studied the history and philosophy of religion, primarily Buddhism and modern Christianity, this antihumanist bent slowly eroded. Within a few years I was entirely enchanted by the promise of individual enlightenment encoded in Buddhism. While I still did not believe it was possible for a human to fully transcend their mundane circumstances in a passive way (I simply had no evidence for it), I did see that radical change of an individual’s mind was possible and that yogic traditions such as Buddhism and Hinduism had cultivated the practices to do so. I was fully taken with the capacity of an individual to be outside of her own context. I had felt this otherness throughout my life as a perpetual outcast. Studying religion revealed examples of practical traditions in which being outside of society as a monastic or spiritual practitioner was allowed for.

Then I went to Nepal and saw living Buddhism. That living religion disillusioned me of my romantic and orientalist notions of the radical freedom of the Buddhist pracitioner. I saw and lived with people who were largely “superstitious” and, to my dismay, were not meditators. The vast majority of the Tibetan refugees I lived with practiced merit accumulation as their primary religious practice. Even the monks I befriended did not meditate. Not only that but they seemed to have a blind faith in the lama as a religious leader. I quickly became disenchanted with Tibetan social structures. After a few months in Nepal, I lightened up a bit and began to probe the subtleties of Tibetan society with a softer eye. What I found was a culture fractured, uprooted, desperate, and savvy about the realities of exile. I also found an oppressive patriarchy that perpetuated religious hegemony, hereditary capital, and rigid class structure at the same time it held up human liberation as its highest value. This apparent paradox did not dawn on me fully until I began my studies in Geography. In the interim years, I spent my time working on several projects. The primary of these was a construction of my own Buddhist practice that dislodged itself from traditionalist visions of Buddhism. In this way I subdivided my study of Buddhism into two not completely separate tracks: study of Buddhist cultural practice as it stands in the light of its own textually inscribed doctrine and study of my own existential being guided by Buddhist principles. While developing an independent post-protestant American Buddhism with a small cohort of friends, I became comfortable with a religious identity (ultimately empty, of course) with which I could negotiate an otherwise raucous cacophony of spiritualist sentiments. In this way, I returned to the Unitarian Universalist fold to find religious community, one that holds my own spiritual practice with respect and honor. With my own Buddhism sustained, I was in an independent position from which to return to the academic study of Buddhist religious history and philosophy; this time within the powerful hermeneutic framework of geography.

There is a special concordance between Buddhism and geography that is probably present in other religious movements, but is particularly compelling in the Tibetan case. The splicing of spiritual experience, religious hegemony, and dramatic landscape demands a sustained analysis of the spatiality of Tibetan Buddhism and the places its practice inscribes on landscape both founded on and driving of discourse. Thus my study has come to a fuller point in which I wish to access and address the variety of forces that create a religious place. Among those, I want to pursue the experience of an individual practitioner, the structures of state tied up in religious hierarchy, the legacy of agrarian capital supporting that structure, the inscription of universalistic discourses upon local landscapes, the resistance of those local landscapes as they are personified by spirits, the compliance of the local after being subjugated by the universalistic bulldozer of Buddhism, the transformation of culture via its landscape, the cosmopolitan project of altruistic Mahayana Buddhism, the colonization of the “barbarous” to support altruism, and the role of advanced and (dis)embodied yogic practice in connecting these structural, discursive, and cosmopolitan/globalizing/universalistic systems with grounded, local, and practical everyday life.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

rockin, homeslice.

couple points: (1) the last paragraph looks like one big run-on list of a sentence. i think you should shorten the bio (more on that below) so you can spread out the individual points of research and make it more a cohesive series of inter-connections than an impressive but stylistically intimidating list.

(2) change "paradox" to "contradiction." could be a matter of preference, but it seems to fit better.

(3) re: the bio... i think Jay Garfield's advice might be germane here: "we don't need an autobiography, we just need a concise statement about what you're interested in, what you've done so far on this stuff, and why this place is the only and best place to study." on that note, i think you can trim the bio - not completely, and stylistically it works, especially the weaving together of your own ideas and personal states with the academic subject matter. that's probably a strength, especially in theory-driven dept's that (rightly) eschew objectivity. i think the dead sheep and the reference to yourself as an "outcast" might be too much, but again that might be just preference. in any case you should look at the bio section and trim everything that's not extremely relevant (but don't sacrifice the style!). you can trim this to two double spaced pages, and i think you should.

so, there's a couple comments, mdor du. i'd be happy to edit more closely if you so desire, but i think you can and should do some trimming and slight re-working on this version. on the whole though, it's great, and will definitely influence how i write the two statements that still loom like cumulo-nimbi over the fields of free time and dilletantism.

Friday, December 23, 2005 1:08:00 PM  
Blogger Breathing said...

Thanks Dan, that's good stuff. I have begun to compose further sections to replace the extra autobiography with the reasons ucla/ubc/uw is the best place to do my work.

Friday, December 23, 2005 2:20:00 PM  
Blogger kittens not kids said...

when do you need these done by? my initial impression:

VERY good, but perhaps scale back some of the personal stuff - i'm not sure how well academic-work-for-personal/spiritual-betterment plays in the university. also maybe snip back a few - VERY few - of the sentences about your religious autobiography and fill in with more about geography.

overall, though, this is lovely - i always knew you were brilliant but i never got to read any of your more formal texts. send me any drafts you want read, for content or for basic proofreading - i'd love to return the favor.

bon chance, mon cher!

Monday, December 26, 2005 9:40:00 PM  
Blogger Breathing said...

I am sending it in tomorrow. It is vastly different now. Most of the good stuff cut out for the more dry issues of what i have done, what i will do, etc.

thanks for the encouragement.

Monday, December 26, 2005 9:53:00 PM  
Blogger Breathing said...

but i will need more help on it for the next round due the 15th.

Monday, December 26, 2005 9:53:00 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

This may be in time for the next round: I suggest giving the "geography" paragraph more prevalence in the order of the essay. I think they're going to be most interested in how you're going to contribute to the field, i.e. place-making in the religious context. Your personal path to spirituality is important, but not as much in trying to convince a panel of professional geographers that they should train you to become a professional geographer. Again, to me it's just a preference for paragraph ordering. Great job!! I'm getting really anxious about seeing the verdicts.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home