Friday, December 16, 2005

Cell Phone: Lost

So, wait a few weeks until I have a new one and then call me. 'Cause I don't have your number any more.

The story is relatively interesting. On Thursday nights I make a pilgrimage to Blue Mounds, WI. This is an odd place where my yoga teacher has opened a Dharma center. It is also a place where Ray-town homey, A. Allred, has moved into a waterless cabin in the woods. I go to Aaron's at night, sit in front of the woodburning stove, untangle the twists of being, disgorge my woman problems, and absorb the quiet of the forest.

In the morning, I get up early to go to yoga practice from 6-8 at the Blue Mounds Dharma Center. Then, I go into the forest for a walk. Today, I went snowshoeing.

As I was clumping along, I thought, "gee, this isn't all that much more efficient than walking in the snow." This is not true, but I was disappointed that the snowshoes were not more buoyant upon the snow.

I tried running. Wow. While striding across the frozen fields on top of the west mound, I realized the effect of snowshoes. I was moving much faster than I thought was possible. It was in the thrall of this excitement that I suspect the small demon I carry on my hip took its leave to lay at the bottom of a foot and a half of snow.

I retraced my steps, had Scott call me, and sat paralyzed with unanchored anxiety. I was so fixed and focused on the ground and any sign of the phone's entry into the powder, my neck began to ache. And after all that wonderful, neck-freeing yoga.

I got back in the car with blue fingers and my corduroy pants inundated with ice and snow. For a moment, the entire world was silent. The pause broke as I felt a vibration on my leg: I could still feel the missing phone ringing! I felt a very deep pull in my stomach as if I wanted the phone so much, I was hungry for it. I was disoriented and confused. What was I going to do without that phone? My eyes focused again on the white field around me. The trees stood silently dormant. The wind began to cover up the cell phone entry point that I had failed to find in the surface of the snow powder.

Then I laughed. It was more like a chuckle. My chest felt light, as if a weight from my left hip had been removed. I have felt oddly free and disconnected all day, as if I really had been let loose from a bond. The phone was a particularly stealthy bond because I could carry it around with me. It was a karmic lodestone that was far denser in its actual weight than I had thought it would be based on its size and gravitational weight. It's actual weight included the massive social node I had sculpted that phone to be. I relied on its powerful little electromagnetism to connect me hundreds to of people. The phone carried that weight and I did not realize how heavy it was until I lost it. It was not the moment at which it parted from my body, I was too delighted to fly across the snow to feel that. It was the moment, or series of moments, in which I realized that I did not have the phone-as-social-node with which to access vast networks of people.

I have been drifting in social anonymity all day.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. You've lifted the corners of my mouth a bit, a feat this evening. I never carry my phone on me because I hate the idea of those social weights. I'm surprised that you did carry your phone- do you plan to renew the bond with new phone?

Good seeing you from time to time. I'm leaving for FL on Tuesday.
Until we meet again,
Kate

Friday, December 16, 2005 8:14:00 PM  
Blogger Breathing said...

I think I do plan on renewing the bond. Though, the unexpected lightness of celllessness is refreshing and a bit tempting. The phone is more than a weight. It is also a tool that serves me, and others, well. I have used it, certainly, to afflict myself with social obligation that may not be necessary. Or rather, I should say, to afflict myself with immediacy of contact that may be a bit over the top. I do not believe, however, that a cell phone on my person obliges me to answer every call. In fact, the great expense of going over "my minutes" leads me not to answer calls with numbers I do not recognize or expect.

As a tool the phone has given me a flexibility and efficiency in my day that may not otherwise be possible. I am currently in a stage in my life when I am thriving (with the occasional burnout) on being busy. The phone makes is possible to more with my day.

It also makes it possible to stay in touch with friends I would otherwise not be able to talk to. I have weekly chats with friends in other cities and states that the phone directly facilitates.

I also use the phone to do service for my church community. Having a cell makes it possible for people in need to contact me. I am not near a landline nearly enough to do that work, which I value deeply.

For me, the question is longer than simply the phone. The cell is a symbol, tool, and curse of engaged life. As I try to be effective in the world, a force for good, the phone on my hip gives me a greater ability to do so.

The freedom of phonelessness is a welcome relief from that work, but may be a bit irresponsible in regards to the karmic paths I have established.

I often get a response similar to yours: "you don't seem like the type to carry, much less love, a cell phone." I am never sure what to do with that. Is is a disappointed comment? Should I be better than to carry a phone since they are often demonized as harbingers of a more completely capitalized life? Or is is an impressed comment? Do I carry it well; with distance, perspective, and understanding?

Thanks for writing. I love comments. I hear they are the secret craving of 'bloggers' everywhere.

Have a nice time in FLA. Where are you going?

augpyp: a silent moment of realization in which the world moves suddenly from a downward vector to a popping up.

Saturday, December 17, 2005 6:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right a phone is a tool. I'm a bit of a home-body so the fact that I only (and not always)answer my phone when I am home is not limiting. If I am out, I consider myself already engaged in something that requires my attention (be it an article for class or snow on the trees).

I was not disappointed nor impressed with your carrying/loving your phone, just surprised. It led me to think that I don't know you well enough; however your explanation very much helped me integrate new phone knowledge with my existing understanding of you (still quite limited, of course).

I'll be in Miami for a week and then I return to Gainesville, back to school.

Sunday, December 18, 2005 6:28:00 AM  
Blogger Breathing said...

Your tenure in Wisconsin is up already? shoot. Go Slowly.

Sunday, December 18, 2005 6:54:00 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

For me it's an experiment, and I'm the guinea pig. The question is how does one survive in the modern world without the possibility for instant communication with any other entity? The hypothesis is that it is neither necessary for survival nor convenience. By not owning a cell I force place and structure into my life - something without which I would be helpless. It matters where I am each day because I can't reach people unless I'm "there," and they can't reach me unless I'm there. I value this highly. I can simply leave my home or office and I'm free from the world - no strings. That cell phone owners have this option is a myth. The addiction is clear from Chris' experience. I, like Katie, enjoy answering the phone wildly while at home. It is like cashing in on the promise I've made everyone to whom my number has been distributed. Here's my number, call me, I say. Normally it's an answering machine, and I return the call within 12 hours. But when I'm there I'm placed, and when I get the surprised reaction of the caller that I'm actually home, I can't help but think of the geographical mental gymnastics that they're doing to try to imagine my experience. "Wow, he's actually home," they think. "I wonder what he's doing, and what he's been doing?" And I always take smug satisfaction when I know my HOME number is showing up on someone's caller ID. They know where I'm at - no need for that first question that has become as banal as asking someone how they're doing. The cell phone is an arbitary piece of technology, and it's as funny to me to think of it as a necessary tool as we would today think of the horse and buggy as a necessary means of transportation. The cell is one piece in an ever-evolving continuum - admittedly an extremely convenient one at times - but it is certainly not worth selling my soul to a Fortune 500 company or two for.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 9:05:00 PM  
Blogger Breathing said...

strong words. are you really free just because you don't have a cell phone. you leave a place and: poof, no strings?

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 6:48:00 AM  
Blogger kittens not kids said...

i don't take my cell (aka my only phone) with me everywhere. this is partly because no one ever calls me (only wrong numbers looking for the hospital) but also because i do not WANT to be constantly reachable. sometimes, i just don't feel like talking. or listening.

snowshoeing! i've never done it but of course you have to move quickly to make it work...... (how do i know that?)

in the absence of your cellphone can you please email me with your house mailing address?

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 3:37:00 PM  
Blogger Breathing said...

Now that I do not have a cell, I like not being reachable. And, when I do have cell, I choose (very choosily) when to answer it and when not to answer it.

Having the cell, however means that I can do more things. be available for more people, get more business (yes, busyness) done. In that way, it's a tool that serves me well.

I think there is a slight detriment to my subjectivity. As Nick notes above, there is an anonymity and freedom to wandering out into the world without a cellularly tracked electromagnetic device strapped to my hip.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 6:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home