Monday, April 21, 2008

Rocky Run: Spring in Pause


I made my first ever bird watching excursion today. With reluctantly talented Ultimate-playing friend of mine--his was the inspiration to wander a bit of Columbia county--I ranged a small DNR property in search of birds. Ostensibly, that is. Really we were there to witness Spring in pause.

It was an uncertain moment when the buds of the trees, skunk cabbage, and flowers were poking briefly through the plane that divides this world from the one whence they come. There was not that explosive feeling that we will have in southern Wisconsin in a few days or so. Instead, it was an extended pause right before that burst of technicolored florescence that we celebrate so dearly every year. There was little movement. Not much wind, not much scampering, not even much flitting or buzzing.

There was pause. It was almost as if the place was stunned by the sudden relief from winter. The tentative land reflected what I have seen in many faces around these parts: the trauma of extended, deep winter. I was not here for this year's freeze, but it is seems to be legendary already.

The walk was good. The birds were scarce. Though, I think my first outing yielded a rare spotting. According to Sibley, the black vulture is rare 'round here and I believe we saw one circling a world about to be born. Odd that a death eater would mark what looks to be Spring.

We wandered down to the creek and took a short dip in the flood run-off that was rushing by slightly chilled but balmy compared to Himalayan glacial melt. It was good.

The nagas seemed to be happy.

2 Comments:

Blogger kittens not kids said...

spring makes me feel good, as long as the sun in shining.
we're several steps ahead of you here, and tonight i had my first dreamy sniff of lilac....

i wonder about birdwatching, and if it is something i would like....possibly i just like the idea of a knapsack with packed lunch, a notebook, binoculars, me and some empty fields or marsh or forest.

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:13:00 PM  
Blogger Breathing said...

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It was like a walk in the woods with a point. No time to wonder what is going on back home, there are birds to watch!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home